Sunday, August 24, 2014

Vision for Life


“Pattern yourselves after mefollow my example, as I imitate and follow Christ the Messiah.”—1 Corinthians 11:1, Amplified

It's quite possible that the most important tool in Heaven's arsenal for becoming a daily Christ-imitator is probably not the first thing that comes to mind. It's not the one that helps produce the most eloquent prayers, the loudest shout of praise, or even the best schedule of reading and ingesting Bible verses. But this tool does have a unique way of quietly overpowering the gnawing inbound "me-myself-and-I" voices to the point that we start thinking and living more Upbound and outbound.

As it should be.

Soft? It's not even close to being wimpy. But it is a tool that's meant to be worn, and in fact, its strength has been known to be a life-changer wherever it has been lived out.

Just as it was, and is, the foundational trait of the Chief Cornerstone (Philippians 2:4-11), O Lord, help us each day to make it a priority to put on the cloak of servant humility : increasingly resident in our hearts toward You and Your ways...and resolute in our attitude toward those You have put in our path and in our hearts.

Be THOU my Vision, O Lord of my heart...
 
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;

I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;

Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul's Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,

Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,

May I reach Heaven's joys, O bright Heaven's Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.


No comments:

Post a Comment