Sunday, July 31, 2016

Unshakable Things Worth Repeating



O God, my heart is steadfast, in the confidence of faith; I will sing, yes, I will sing praises, even with all the faculties and powers of one created in Your image… For Your mercy and loving-kindness are great and high as the heavens. Your truth and faithfulness reach to the skies!”—Psalm 108:1, 4 Amplified

No matter how crazy and uncertain things may get during any given day or week, there is power and hope in following the psalmist’s lead and regularly speaking out some unshakable things:
God’s MERCY is poured out to us daily
God’s LOVING-KINDNESS is relentlessly embracing us
God’s TRUTH is ready to break through to stabilize and drive us forward, and
God’s FAITHFULNESS is behind us, ahead of us, all around us, and living through us.

What could be better news than that? But wait...“I will sing, yes, I will sing praises…” Once is good, but the psalmist is on to something here: more is better! Because even unshakable things spoken, and unshakable things internalized only once may not immediately quell low energy or mood that, on their own, would rather not even hum a few bars. But say them again, think them again, choose to believe it all again, and something miraculous begins to occur:

The pity party leaves the building—the building that is you. And in its place, God’s power and love begin to once more fill the void like waves at high tide, reminding your soul for the umpteenth time that they are as enormous as He promised they would be.

The power is not in the song, or in the shout, or in the verbalization. The power of praise is in the Truth and faith behind it all (even weak faith), believing without necessarily “feeling it,”  and in choosing to declare to the enemies of doubt, confusion, and whatever else tries to knock us on our keister that “…though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet!” 

If my heart is overwhelmed and I cannot hear Your voice
I’ll hold on to what is true though I cannot see
If the storms of life they come and the road ahead gets steep
I will lift these hands in faith
I will believe
I remind myself of all that You’ve done
And the life I have because of Your Son...
("Love Came Down" - Brian Johnson)




No comments:

Post a Comment