Sunday, July 29, 2018

One Thing Remains


"Endurance = The ability or strength to continue or last, especially despite fatigue, stress, or other adverse conditions." (www.dictionary.com)

Who knew you could keep going because of a bunch of crows?

At the end of a long day of sitting and being mostly confined, it felt great to put one foot in front of the other, breathe in the sweet smells of summer, and work my way around the track. On this particular beautiful day, with the humidity lower than it had been, the track had attracted other one-foot-in-front-of-the-others, too. One was sprinting over and over again and barely breaking a sweat. Another had the unfair advantage of very long legs and effortlessly left me in the dust.

None of that would have mattered much if I hadn't heard crows on the stadium lights laughing at me as I ran by. They didn't do that with the other guys. Just me. Next time around, another cawing chorus of "Ha! Who are you kidding? You'll never make it."

In this race that is the joyful, adventurous, unpredictable marathon of being a Christ-one, you can either agree with the accusations of the crows and give up, or laugh back and remind them: "But my God, His love endures forever. It never quits. And He gives me endurance and encouragement that are second to none!"

And like as many runners do, you find a song that fits the rhythm of your pace and the renewed conviction within so that you feel as though you are walking or running in lock-step with the Savior of the world. A surge of joy, of confidence, of hope, of energy, of laughter at crows, of purpose once more. At the top of your lungs, something like this...


Higher than the mountains that I face
Stronger than the power of the grave
Constant in the trial and the change
One thing remains
Your love never fails, it never gives up
Never runs out on me
And on and on and on and on it goes
It overwhelms and satisfies my soul
I never have to be afraid
One thing remains
Your love never fails, it never gives up
Never runs out on me
In death, in life, I'm confident and covered by
The power of Your great love
My debt is paid, there's nothing that can separate
My heart from Your great love.

One Thing Remains (c) 2010 Bethel Music Publishing

What the crows don't know is this:

"For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope and overflow with confidence in His promises."

—Romans 15:4, Amplified


To all fellow travelers this day, Selah.




No comments:

Post a Comment