Sunday, June 11, 2017

A Country Church Revelation


"Perseverance is the great test of genuineness in the Christian life."John Piper

On a cool late spring evening in 2004, I was with a group that had gathered at a small, white-steepled church to hear a couple speak on their sense of God's move in New England. I was very curious, because these folks, as we say around here, were from "away," yet humbly felt they were supposed to come here to stir some Kingdom-first embers among people who were tired but endlessly hungry for the satisfaction that can only be found in God, a remnant that had perhaps wanted to give up but who remained ever-hopeful, who had taken Jesus' opening words from Luke 18 to heart but were still waiting, waiting, waiting....
"One day Jesus told his disciples a story to illustrate their need for constant prayer and to show them that they must keep praying until the answer comes."
To this day, I still remember some unusual things about that night: where I was standing, the way the evening light was coming through the large, drafty windows, the palpable eagerness in the room. No one was leading worship. Instead, a CD played quietly in the background as people prayed or worshiped as the Lord led them. Then in the middle of it all, something a bit startling but beautiful: a woman stood and sang a prophetic song in an unknown tongue. I remember it being simple, gorgeous, and resounding in the old sanctuary. Unfortunately, there was no one who had an interpretation (or, if there was one, no one spoke up, so I'm not about to say the song was "out of order").

But something just seemed....right.

There's no Biblical precedent that I know of for this, but what follows is what came to pen and paper the next morning when I asked the Lord, after the fact, "So, what was that lady saying that You are saying? I want to know!"  Maybe the words that flowed are what can happen when a man or woman takes God at His word: "You will seek me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29:13). And maybe that's nuts. Maybe...but perhaps only if what is downloaded doesn't align with something God has already said at least once between Genesis 1 and Revelation 22. And the download was this:
"Behold, I make all things new. I stand at the door and knock, but who will long for My appearing in this hour? For I am coming soon. Do not faint or grow weary, for I will uphold you with My righteous right hand if you will seek Me with all of your heart. My ways are just and true, and I am faithful to you and My Word. Faint not. Hold on. Forsake all others and seek Me. The time has come for new things, but I will not force My way in. I knock. I long for you. Will you listen? Will you open the door of your heart for Me? What truly matters? This is the day. This is the time. Hold on to what is True, because I long for you." 

As I read it over again this week, nearly 13 years later, it seemed to be just as fresh and relevant as the night it was sung—an insistent clarion call to listen up and pay attention. Especially, in light of reading theses verses a few days after running a 5K last week:
"...you have limited strength, yet you have obeyed My Word and not denied My Name...you have obeyed My instructions to endure and be patient...one who conquers through faithfulness...I will plant that person as a pillar in the temple of My God, and that person will never have to leave the presence of God." (Revelation 3:8-12, selected, The Voice)
And then, just like 13 years ago, putting to pen and paper what seemed to be an interpretation...

"When the going gets tough, globally or in the backyard of your own little world, hold on to these key words that Jesus modeled and passes along even now: Obey, love, keep going, stay faithful. Remember that 5K and refusing to walk or quit but enduring to the finish line because other people were doing the same and others were cheering you on. Remember the 'runner's high' of crossing the finishing line well. You wanted to stay in that moment but you had to get out of the way. And besides, it was over. Not so with the Race that truly matters. What an incredible finish line it will be in the Kingdom race of perseverance. You have no idea. In fact, it's not a finish at all but the beginning of eternity forever in My incomparable presence."

For all who come by here today and are weary, thinking of quitting this race or perhaps exploring a different route...selah.

"I may be weak, but Your Spirit's strong in me. My flesh may fail, but my God, You never will."(from "Give Me Faith," Elevation Worship)






1 comment: