Sunday, June 25, 2023

Before Sunrise

Main Street in the 5:30 a.m. stillness.

The almanac says sunrise here was at 5:10 a.m. But down in the village, it’s almost an hour later before the sun peers over the hill. It’s this in-between time that can be priceless and worth getting up for, no matter where you call home. Because except for a jogger and an occasional vehicle likely in search of coffee, the calm and stillness can be more refreshing than last night’s sleep. You see things you don’t see in the heat of the day. You feel the blanketing fog of God and His creation embracing and painting the town before disappearing until another time.

Each step can become an unconscious prayer, when you get a relatable sense of what the psalmist was talking about:

“Cause me to hear Your loving-kindness in the morning, for on You I lean, and in You I trust. Cause me to know the way I should walk, for I lift up my inner self to You.” (Psalm 143:8) 

These before-sunrise walks also have a way of awakening purpose for living, or as the great theologian J.I. Packer has put it, “If you’re trying to do something worthwhile, you will find that a great deal of what you’re doing will prove to be fun.” Amen to that.

It’s going to be a steamy day, but while you were snoozing, know that it’s already gotten off to a beautiful start. Just look….

No comments:

Post a Comment